Saturday, July 16, 2011

Twilight Moonrise

Just after sunset yesterday the Full moon rose on the Eastern horizon just as the Sun set in the West.  I snapped a few pictures to continue practicing landscape photography in poor light.  By slowing the shutter speed and keeping the aperture small, pictures at night come out brighter, with more scenery, but detail in bright objects like the moon is lost:


By increasing shutter speed, the scenery becomes dark and without contrast, but well lit objects like the moon gain some definition, as in the following picture:


 Also, by watching the clock, I was able to tell how high the horizon was in the area I took the picture by cross referencing Stellarium.  These pictures were taken at 9:17pm on July 15, and here is what Stellarium shows for that time:


Stellarium shows that the Moon at that time was less than 5 azimuthal degrees.  My Stellarium is set having Ottawa as the vantage point, and since I was a bit South of Ottawa, the moon would have appeared from where I was as slightly higher on the azimuthal axis than what Stellarium shows... However, I was also West of Ottawa, away from the spot of the Moonrise in the East, and therefore that would cause the Moon to be lower on the azimuthal axis than what Stellarium shows.  So I`m pretty sure it balances out, and now I know that if anything is risen 5 degrees or more, I should be able to find it if I get into to open space.

No comments:

Post a Comment