Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Arcturus, Boötes Constellation Photo

Last night I went out on what I thought would be a clear night.  Perhaps 11pm is too early where I was.  I guess with a lot of humidity and light pollution or something somehow there was only one part of the sky that really looked good.  That was in the area of Arcturus the "Bear Guard", and the constellation Boötes.  Below the following Stellarium representation is the best picture I produced.  I was quite surprised to see more stars in the picture than I could with the naked eye!

click photo to enlarge
Alkaid can be seen to the right in this picture.  Alkaid is the final star of the Big Dipper leading Bootes on its journey through the sky.  Also visible is the constellation Corona Borealis and its brightest star Alphekka, and the triangular head of Serpens.

No comments:

Post a Comment