Friday, July 15, 2011

Photo of Mars, Aldebaran, Alnath in Conjunction

With Stellarium, I was able to see last night that around 4am Mars would rise in conjunction with Alnath of Auriga and Aldebaran of Taurus.  I was able to find a vantage point which allowed a decent shot of these objects, in spite of the streetlamp which in the dawn twilight and a long exposure seems bright enough to be the sun itself.  The lamp certainly drowned out some of their brilliance; Mars and Aldebaran were sparkling and colorful as usual, though they appear muted in the photo.  The Pleiades, Capella and even other dimmer stars from Auriga are visible in the picture, which I did not expect.  After initial difficulties, I am fairly impressed with what my camera is picking up!  Now that I have figured out how to take better pictures at night, I will have to search out a vantage point for the eastern horizon with less light pollution!





Alnath, Mars and Aldebaran - click photo to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment